Kubuntu Focus NX is a Linux mini PC with a Tiger Lake processor, two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Kubuntu Focus NX is a mini PC running the Kubuntu Focus Linux operating system on an Intel Core i5-1135G7 or i7-1165G7 Tiger Lake processor, with up to 64 GB of RAM, NVMe and SATA storage support, offering four HDMI/DisplayPort video outputs, two Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C ports and three additional USB 3.2 Type-A ports.
The mini PC also comes with decent networking and wireless connectivity thanks to a 2.5 GbE port and an Intel AX601 module enabling WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2. Mini PCs that ship with Linux by default are quite rare, and most are quite expensive, so it’s nice to see a more affordable mid-range mini PC running Kubuntu Focus out of the box.
Kubuntu Focus NX Mini PC Specifications:
- SoC (either)
- System Memory – Up to 64GB DDR4 RAM via 2 x 260 pin SO-DIMM sockets
- Socket M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 tested up to 3500/3300 MB/s R/W with Samsung SSD
- SATA III port tested up to 560/530 MB/s R/W with Samsung SSD
- SD card slot
- Video output
- HDMI 2.0b port up to 4Kp60
- Mini DisplayPort 1.4 up to 4Kp60
- 2x DisplayPort outputs via Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type-C ports
- 2-in-1 audio jack with headphone and microphone signals
- Digital audio output via HDMI port
- 4-array far-field microphones
- 2.5 GbE RJ45 port via Intel i225-V controller
- Dual-band WiFi 6 2×2 MIMO and Bluetooth 5.2 via Intel AX201 module
- 3 USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A ports
- 2x Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type-C ports with DisplayPort Alt mode
- Kensington lock bracket
- Optional full disk encryption at no cost
- Optional preconfigured YubiKey 5 NFC 2FA
- BIOS controlled fan
- Headers for CEC, USB 3.1, USB 2.0, FRONT_PANEL, RGB
- Power supply – 19V DC input (120W power supply included)
- Dimensions – 117 x 112 x 51 mm (Intel NUC Panther Canyon chassis with metal and plastic surfaces, integrated header heatsink)
The mini PC comes with a VESA monitor mounting bracket and a 120W power supply, and we’re promised a one- or two-year limited warranty with “unmatched first Linux support”. Kubuntu Focus is a customized version of Kubuntu that runs primarily on the company’s own hardware, until now a laptop, and now a mini PC.
It is also opportunity to try the Ubuntu 22.04 based OS on other computers or a virtual machine, but you will need to provide an email address to get a link to the ISO (4.8 GB). The developer explains that the Kubuntu Focus suite is configured and optimized for Kubuntu Focus hardware, and if you have different hardware, the optimizations may not apply. I gave it a quick try in VirtualBox myself, and it took a while to boot, but I finally got into the desktop environment.
It walks you through a wizard to optionally install additional applications and comes with detailed guides to help users and Kubuntu Focus Tools for additional configuration options such as changing the compiler version.
The Kubuntu Focus NX mini PC is available now for $695 and up with the base configuration including an Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor, 8GB of single-channel RAM, a 250GB NVMe SSD, a one-year warranty, and free ground shipping in the US and Canada, which seem to be the Only two countries covered by Kubuntu Development Team.
Going through notebookcheck.net
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 on a part-time basis, before stepping down as Director of Software Engineering and starting writing daily news and reviews full-time later in 2011.